- Over 200 superb colour reproductions of original nineteenth century embroideries
- Written by Raffaella Serena, a notable authority in the field of embroidery
- Includes 24 technical charts with practical advice
- Exceptional factual, practical text of particular interest to contemporary needlework enthusiasts
- Also available by Raffaella Serena: Embroideries and Patterns from 19th Century Vienna
This book complements Embroideries and Patterns of Nineteenth Century Vienna, Serena's first publication concerning the Nowotny Collection. It also surveys samplers, motifs and decorative patterns, but focuses solely on animal patterns.
The embroideries are perfectly reproduced in 208 flawless colour photographs; 41 technical drawings are included in the text. Practical advice is offered which allows any keen embroidery enthusiast to reproduce some of the more spectacular designs.